The Music teacher is responsible to the Head of Department for implementing the MYP Arts curriculum, assessment and reporting process.
The Music teacher is expected to work with the MYP Arts Department as well as with their Grade Level Team, attending collaborative planning sessions and co-teaching where appropriate.
The Music teacher must use an MYP inquiry-based approach and must offer individualized learning opportunities when required.
For further details, interested parties shall submit their online application following the links. The position commences 1 August 2021.
Position: MYP Music Teacher
School Section: Middle School (MS)
Period of Appointment: August 2021 to July 2022 (subject to renewal)
Role Description / Working Relationships
- The Music teacher is responsible to the Head of Department for implementing the MYP Arts curriculum, assessment and reporting process.
- The Music teacher is expected to work with the MYP Arts Department as well as with his/her Grade Level Team, attending collaborative planning sessions and co-teaching where appropriate. The Music teacher must use an MYP inquiry-based approach and must offer individualized learning opportunities when required.
- As is the case with all MS teachers, the Music teacher is expected to:
- Keep parents informed of student progress and achievement
- Attend parent-student-teacher conferences as part of the reporting cycle
- Have a Mentor class and participate fully in all Social Emotional Learning activities
- Be actively involved in school development
- Contribute to extra-curricular activities
- Participate fully in the China Studies residential trips
- Ensure student safety by performing supervisory duties at selected breaks and lunchtimes
- Support and promote all attributes of the IB Learner Profile
- Actively promote, support and strengthen the vision and values of WAB
The successful applicant is expected to have the following skills, abilities, knowledge and experience:
1. Personal Skills and Abilities
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, students and parents
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing with students and parents who speak English as an additional language
- Empathy for, and understanding of, second language acquisition
- Skills in working with a range of students of different abilities and backgrounds
- Ability to collaborate with support team members (Learning Support, Enriched Inclusion, Teacher-Librarian, Nurses, Counselors, Speech & Language, English as Additional Language Specialists, and IT Integrators) to support students
- Ability to integrate technology across the curriculum
- A sound understanding of contemporary teaching and learning theories and practice related to Music
- A sound understanding of collaborative planning strategies
- A strong knowledge of differentiation strategies
- A range of intervention strategies for maximizing the learning of a wide range of learning styles and abilities
- Successful experience as a Music teacher (in an IB MYP classroom preferred)
- Recent MS classroom experience
- Qualified teacher status
- Qualification in the teaching of Music
- MYP training (preferred)
- Commitment to professional development
- Plans collaboratively with colleagues
Western Academy of Beijing is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.