WAB MS is looking for local Chinese employee for the Science Laboratory Technician position for the school year 2021-22. The Lab Technician is under the supervision of the team leader technician, a Science Laboratory Technician coordinates the use of practical resources and facilities and provides assistance and advice in meeting the practical needs of the science curriculum, including liaising with teaching staff, students, and support staff outside their department. The position commences 1 August 2021. Interested applicants please follow the link and submit your applications hereby.
Position: Science Laboratory Technician
Department: Science Department – Middle / High School
Role Description / Working Relationships
Under the supervision of the team leader technician, a Science Laboratory Technician coordinates the use of practical resources and facilities and provides assistance and advice in meeting the practical needs of the science curriculum, including liaising with teaching staff, students, and support staff outside their department.
1. HEALTH & SAFETY
- Actively contributing to the assessment, monitoring and review of both health and safety procedures and information resources.
- Keeping up to date with current OH & S procedures and practices through continuing professional development.
- Safe treatment and disposal of used materials including hazardous substances and responding to actual or potential hazards
- Healthy and safe storage and accessibility of equipment and materials.
2. MANAGEMENT & CONTROL OF RESOURCES
- Support the team leader technician in ensuring availability of suitable materials and equipment, helping to compile orders and liaising or negotiating with
- suppliers and finance departments.
- Sourcing, costing and suggesting economic alternatives to maintain stock levels.
- Keeping up to date records of stock.
- To assist in the training, development and supervision of trainee technician staff to ensure the essential performance standards are achieved.
- To assist in the delivery and supervision of student experiments as required.
- Under the guidance of the team leader technician, to ensure that both routine and non routine checking, cleaning, maintenance, calibration, testing and repairing of equipment to the required standard.
- To contribute to the design, development and maintenance of resources and or long term projects.
The successful applicant is expected to have the following skills, abilities, knowledge and experience:
- Science related degree, preferably Biology, Chemistry or Physics stream highly preferable.
- Knowledge of chemistry and handling/storage of hazardous materials preferable.
- Knowledge of Occupation Health & safety practices when managing science laboratories preferable.
- Experience within a research / laboratory science related organization.
- Experience in preparation, handling & storage of hazardous materials preferable.
3. Skills and abilities:
- Excellent written and oral English language skills,
- Excellent organization and multitasking skills,
- Ability to problem solve,
- Ability to prepare chemicals preferable.
- Computer literate, competent in excel, Microsoft word.
- Familiar with Vernier DATA LOGGER Software is preferable.
4. Other attributes:
- Pleasant personality and positive communications and interpersonal skills,
- Positive learning attitude and dedication to organizing equipment,
- A willingness to learn new skills,
- Ability to positively teamwork within the Science department and develop positive working relationships across the school.
Western Academy of Beijing is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.